Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heather's Quinoa Spinach Salad

My friend Heather taught a healthy eating class for one of our Relief Society activity cooking segments a couple months ago. She made this salad but in the craziness of the evening (Chris was working so I had the kids and I was of course helping Heather with the demonstrations on how to make everything) I didn't have a chance to try it. I made it last week and I am in love. It is seriously so darn yummy that I had it as a side at three different dinners last week.

Heather's Quinoa Spinach Salad

big bunch / bag of spinach
1 cup uncooked quinoa (with 2 cups water to cook it)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup almonds, chopped, slivered or sliced
2 green onions, finely chopped

Dressing:
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp real maple syrup
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Cook the quinoa and let it cool.
Once the quinoa is cooled combine it with the rest of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Combine dressing ingredients and pour on top.

*Note: As I knew we weren't going to be eating a big salad I just threw some spinach, quinoa, cranberries, almonds and onions in to a bowl (I just went with what looked good as far as the amounts of each) and then poured some of the dressing on top. Then the next day I did the same thing. The dressing recipe ended up being enough for me to make salads for 3 different meals, and it was perfect because the salad was nice and fresh each day instead of being soggy if I'd tried to eat it as left overs.

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment