Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Chili













I saw a recipe for the Lion House (in Salt Lake City, UT) chili on a friends blog and thought I'd try it... As usual I made a few changes. I haven't tasted the original recipe, but I can say that my recipe has quickly become our favourite chili recipe as it's the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. I'm not the biggest fan of really spicy food, so if you like things on the spicier side you can add more chili powder, cheyenne powder, or red pepper flakes. I would recommend trying it first before you go spicier. And I'd recommend trying this even if you're not the biggest fan of chili as I took this to a potluck tonight and had someone tell they don't usually like chili that much, but liked this and wanted the recipe!

Sweet and Spicy Chili
1/2 lb ground chicken (if you like more meat in your chili you can use 1 lb)
 OR to make it vegetarian omit the chicken and add an extra can of black or kidney beans (depending on your preference) AND 1 small sliced zucchini
1 yellow / orange bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups or so of frozen corn (can also use 1 can of corn)

Sour cream
Cheese, grated

Brown ground chicken, peppers, onion and spices together in a frying pan (using the canola oil if necessary). When cooked through add to crock pot, along with the remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occassionally. You can also cook this in a large pot and simmer for 45 minutes or so. I make it in a 6 quart crock pot and it's the perfect size.
Serve with sour cream and grated cheese on top and with Simple but Savory Cornbread (see recipe below).

Serves approximately 8-10.

Enjoy!

1 comment: