Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Simple but Savory Cornbread

This recipe is a combination of a very basic cornbread recipe and a more savory recipe from my sister, Rachel. I'm sure you'll agree the addition of the cheese, corn and onion make this cornbread better than any regular cornbread you've had. And the great thing is it's still very simple and uses basic ingredients you already have!





Simple but Savory Cornbread

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup veg/canola oil
1 beaten egg (or 2 egg whites)
1/2 onion chopped
frozen or canned corn (approximately 3/4 - 1 cup - I never measure it)
cheese (approximately 1/2 - 3/4 cup, again I never measure it)

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease/PAM an 8x8 pan or muffin tins.

1) Fry onion in 1 tbsp oil, add some salt and pepper while frying.
2) Mix dry ingredients together (first 5)
3) Mix wet ingredients (next 3)
4) Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
5) Add the cheese, corn, and onion.
5) Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. (Note: If making muffins, cook for approximately 22 minutes.)
Serve warm with butter and honey drizzled on top.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I finally made these last night! YUMMY. Also, I did the chili and AJ was in heaven. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just realized people have been leaving me comments on the blog...for some reason I wasn't getting notified. So I just saw your carrot cake one: yes it counts as your veggies;)

    And glad AJ's happy;)

    ReplyDelete