Friday, June 12, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


This is a favourite dessert in the summertime back home. Rhubard grows wild on my parents' farm so I grew up making this dessert a lot. I didn't know they sold it in stores until I saw it in our local Macey's grocery store ad last week...you can bet I bought some and then made it! The funny thing is I was talking to my sister Rebekah the day I made it and she said they'd just had it a couple times in the last week...I told you it's a favourite dessert back home!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
4 large stalks of rhubarb, washed and sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 lbs of strawberries, washed and sliced
sugar

Crisp Topping:
2/3 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup melted butter

Combine the cut rhubarb and strawberries together with a little sugar and place the fruit mixture in a greased (PAM) 9X13 pan.

Combine the crisp topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinke over the fruit. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until the topping is cooked and browned on top.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It tastes absolutely delicious with Chris's vanilla ice cream!
*Note: The amounts of rhubarb and strawberries are approximate as the size of rhubarb stalks and strawberries vary.

*Note: You can substitute apples, peaches, blueberries, etc instead of using strawberries and rhubarb.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment