Thursday, June 11, 2009

Green Bean Dish

I started making this dish a number of years ago - don't ask me where I got the idea from, but I just remember making it all the time when I was single and basically living with Sandra and the girls. Being a fellow veggie lover, Sandra loved it as much as I did. I don't get to make it very often now that I'm married because Chris hates green beans and therefore won't eat it. However, if you like green beans I think it's pretty safe to say you'll like it!

I have to say I thought it was funny that my sister in law, Tamela was talking about a green bean dish at Christmas and when she gave everyone the recipe I realized that though there are a few differences it was basically the same as my green bean dish. I just thought it was funny because I've never heard of anyone else making anything like this before.

Just beware that this is definitely not a very specific recipe as far as measurements go!

Green Bean Dish
green beans (fresh or frozen, I usually use the frozen french style because they're easier to keep on hand and I like the french style the best with this dish)
1 onion, sliced
roasted almonds (sliced or whole)
olive oil
minced garlic
garlic powder
salt
pepper
soy sauce
grilled chicken *optional

Over medium-high, heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic and cook until the onions are about half cooked. Then add the green beans, almonds, salt, pepper, and garlic powder according to your taste. Continue to cook until the onions and green beans are cooked through, however not too much that they're mushy. Serve over rice, and sprinkle with soy sauce, again according to your taste.

*Note: When I make this for other people I add in grilled chicken as well.

*Note: I roast my own almonds by putting them in our little toaster oven for a few minutes. Just be careful not to cook them too long that they get overcooked and / or start to burn. If I'm using whole almonds, I cut them before I roast them.

*Note: The recipe Tamela gave me had a note that said "I also use this for mushrooms, asparagus and zucchini/squash".

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment