Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Delicious and Chunky Minestrone Soup


My friend, De Ellen made this soup for us when I had Noah and I'd been asking for the recipe ever since. I finally got it a couple weeks ago and I've made it twice since AND eaten the entire pot of it myself both times. I LOVE it and can't get enough. I'm on a no dairy kick right now because of Noah but it's even delicious without the Parmesan cheese.

This recipe makes a lot, so feel free to half it. Or just leave it in the fridge and eat it yourself over the course of a week like I do;)

And if you want the soup to be less chunky you can add less of the vegetables and pasta. I like mine to be super chunky and filling which is why I quadrupled the vegetables and pretty much doubled everything else from the original recipe.


Delicious and Chunky Minestrone Soup


3 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup minced white onions
1 zucchini, chopped

1 cup fresh green beans, cut in thirds (or frozen cut Italian green beans
)
2-3 stalks celery, chopped

4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)

8 cups vegetable broth (not use chicken broth)


1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans , drained

1 (15 ounce) can cannellini/white kidney beans, small white beans, or great northern beans, drained

1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 cup carrots , julienned or shredded

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried parsley

2 teaspoons dried oregeno

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

3 cups hot water

5-6 cups fresh baby spinach

6 oz of dried shell, macaroni, or elbow pasta
(This is a guesstimate as I don't measure it, I just dump some in)
Italian meatballs or sausage (if you have a hubby like mine the only way you'll get him to eat this soup is by adding the meat)


Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.

Saute the onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.

Add vegetable broth to pot, plus the canned tomatoes, beans, carrots, hot water, and spices.

Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the spinach and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency.

Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and serve with breadsticks, European bread or other crusty bread.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment