Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Refried Beans without the Refry

I don't know why I bothered to take a picture of these beans as no matter what they don't look appetizing. Let me assure you however that they are incredibly good! Especially if you or anyone in your family likes a little kick (they can of course be made without the kick and they'd still be good).

The original recipe was of course from allrecipes.com, the usual place we go to when looking for a specific recipe.

Refried Beans Without the Refry

1 lb pinto beans, rinsed
1 large onion, sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
water

Put the rinsed beans, onion, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin in to a crock pot and fill with water and stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.

Once the beans have finished cooking strain them and reserve the liquid. Remove most of the onion slices and then return the beans to the crock pot. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved liquid as needed to attain the desired consistency.

*Note: As I'm sure you can guess I don't usually measure the garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin but I did my best to estimate the amounts I used. I know in specific I used more garlic and cumin than the original recipe called for.




No comments:

Post a Comment